Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Have You (Re)Learned a Word Recently?

www.corbisimages.com


I spent a few hours in my husband’s truck the other day helping him make a repair. It was actually a lot of fun, and I learned a new word: bezel. A bezel is a secure but removable cover for the inner parts of a car. There’s probably a bezel over your radio system and your dashboard, keeping it smooth and attractive.

It might be silly, but I really enjoy that word! I love learning new words because they push me to expand my thoughts.

Previously, I would have just called that part of the truck “the plastic part” or “the dashboard,” but those terms aren’t really accurate. When I say “bezel” the term applies very specifically. It represents the desire to keep the mess both protected and out of sight.

There’s another word that I’ve been learning the definition of recently: reveal.

Yes, I knew the term already. But as I read Daniel 2, it’s like I’m re-learning it.

In Daniel, the Lord “reveals” a whole lot.

For instance, in the NIV the chapter uses the refrain 8 times.

What does it mean to “reveal?” Often, the word used in the chapter is related to “galah” in Hebrew, which is more literally translated “uncover” or “remove.” It’s the same word used to describe the Israelites being removed, or carried away, from their land to be brought into exile in Babylon.

Though not considered so wonderful or miraculous, that, too, was orchestrated by the Lord.

Daniel 2 describes King Nebuchadnezzar having a troubling dream and growing so agitated when his best magicians and wise men couldn’t interpret it that he commanded the whole lot be put to death. But Daniel stepped up.

He didn’t know what the dream was or what it meant, but Daniel knew that He could pray to the One who did know…the one who does know.

God saw fit to uncover that which was in darkness, to cease to protect a mystery and begin to employ it instead. As Daniel received the vision and interpretation from the Lord, he began to praise God:

He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.
He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.
I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors:
You have given me wisdom and power,
you have made known to me what we asked of you,
you have made known to us the dream of the king.
-2:21-23

What is it that dwells in darkness these days in my life and in the lives of those I love? The One who reveals will bring all things to light! (Luke 8:17)

In verse 30, Daniel continues on, saying: “As for me, this mystery has been revealed to me, not because I have greater wisdom than anyone else alive, but so that Your Majesty may know the interpretation and that you may understand what went through your mind.”

What the Lord reveals to us isn’t about how special we are or how wise we seek to be. The mysteries of the Lord, the things hidden in darkness, the things we wonder but are afraid to ask about…these are all known to God.

His perfect will includes moments of unveiling, uncovering, and carrying us away from what we once thought into a new place that is equally a part of His plan. He reveals stuff so that we can know it, so that we can be warned, humbled, and corrected (as in Daniel 4.) But also simply that we better understand.

I’m glad I re-learned the word “reveal” recently, and even more grateful to see the Lord actively at work uncovering things formerly shrouded in darkness.

Are there any words the Lord is re-teaching you?


Happy to be linking to:  RaRaLinkup   and Testimony Tuesday!


6 comments:

  1. Bethany, strong words today! I love how you focus on how he reveals. I often pray for this over his word. I pray that he reveals the mysteries. I know there is power in his revealing. I also know he reveals so we can reveal. I love this today. Cheering you on from the #RaRalinkup on Purposeful Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly! Thank you! So appreciative of your support : ) Thank you especially for the reminder that He reveals so that we can!!

      Delete
  2. I am going to have to get my Bible out and read some of this! God is using a situation in my life to warn me (to do things differently), humble me (getting rid of so much pride) and correct me (get rid of any sin in my life). Its very painful right now, and sad, but I am holding on to the promise that God is and will use it for my good because I am His child and called by His name. Your sister over at #raralinkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kortney!

      I hope you enjoyed reading Daniel : ) Such a powerful story about God's work and the example Daniel of faith set for us! I'll be praying for you and the situation the Lord is using in your life. His refinement and discipline can be so tough, but it's so worth it! He warns, humbles, and corrects because He loves you, and we can see examples of that in Christ and in the stories from the Word like Daniel. Believe Him, sister! : )

      And thank you so much for reading!!

      Delete
  3. It's so hard to ask where is the darkness because those are often the things I least want revealed. Thanks for sharing your words at Testimony Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly,

    Isn't that the truth! I hear you. Thanks for reading -so glad to be a part of Testimony Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete