- 3 cups all-purpose flour + flour for dusting
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup grated, frozen butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 Cup Finely chopped seasoned apples OR apples stewed and slightly crushed into almost applesauce OR leftover apple pie filling
- Sift together dry ingredients, including cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add frozen, grated butter into the mix and gently blend in with pastry cutter until the dry mix is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, measure out milk, beat in an egg, and add the almond extract.
- Slowly add the wet mixture into the dry, folding so as not to over mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until the dough can be patted into a cohesive round.
- Divide dough into 8 slices and bake at 400 degrees or until slightly browned.
For the Topping
Mix together powdered sugar and milk, whisking until a basic frosting forms. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat until mixture is sticky and thin. Spread over scones and sprinkle sliced
almonds on top.
Enjoyable with tea or coffee : )